Popular Posts

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Wk 3 Reading: The Art of Possibility

Moving in the right direction
image from
www.freedigitalimages.net
The point that stood out for me in chapter 5 was the importance of embracing those you are in authority over or that you teach as leaders themselves. Being able to embrace them as important beings to the cause increased their aptitude to perform and help the musicians to connect with the job conductor and the better understand the his job. Also, leaders are everywhere, and the obstacle to overcome is being able to identify te moment to allow them to assume a leadership role and allow them to lead.

The idea expressed in chapter 6 to "remember rule number 6" is one that I can personally relate to wholeheartedly. I don't really know where this undertone in my life evolved from but i do relate to the concept very well. The idea that difficult people in our lives are made up of those whom we cannot control to give our own self a boost has really brought me to an ah ha moment. Within ourselves, it is important to do things that will bring personal satisfaction and be able to experience moments of reaching our goas. In calculating self while getting in touch with the central self is not an easy task, but it is the central self that controls our actions, how we think and sometimes even how we treat other.

"The capacity to be present to everything that is happening, without resistance, creates possibility." When I read that phrase, the words "what are my alternatives?" come to mind. I believe it is just apart of human nature to concentrate on things that are not the way, we feel, they should be. Undoubtedly, when we feel that things are not as they should be, we foster the attitudes of negativity unti we find our way to see alternatives. What I take away from this chapter is we have a choice to focus on what should be or what the possibilities are. It is often times easier to focus on what should be based on our personal standards and it takes work to embrace the reality of what is and focus on what could be.

Giving way to the passions in our lives can be somewhat a difficult taks when being bombarded by distractions and limitations that surround our every being. Chapter 8 suggests that we take notice to wht is holding us back and let go. Only ten can we participate in the bigger scheme of things that are a part of our lives and cause change within our communities. Once we recognize our barriers, then we are to get busy and get involved with moving forward to accomplish what it is the we have set our sights on.

4 comments:

  1. I think you make a good point that it really takes a conscious effort to let go of the things that hold us back from being positive. I know that often times I think negatively when nothing has even happened to cause me to think that way. I think that I can sometimes get in a subconscious state of assuming the worst all the time and that can really cause me to be blind to the positive things happening around me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on the rule of number 6. I loved this chapter. It stuck out for me I’m happy it did the same for you.

    I like how you simplified letting the barriers go it’s so true that only then can we clearly see things for what they are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Marsona, we both got a lot out of this chapter. I too stated, it is important to embrace those around us we have authority over. My whole CBR project was allowing professional development for teachers be student-driven so there has to be a connection and an embracing of these stakeholders. Some may not all be leaders, but all can participate in some way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marsona, I liked chapter six also. I can relate vicariously through my husband and two of my children, who tend to be like that. It's very hard almost impossible for them to function along with people/ situations they cannot control. This helps me within the dynamics of the classroom, helping these students gain control helps them succeed.

    On the flip side, difficult people for me, are the people that remind me of my own inadequacies. I do not like seeing my weaknesses in others, this is often on the subconscious level and I don't realize it until I take time to reflect.

    To me, this helps me to form co-op groups, knowing how people interact together and what each student needs to get out of the group.

    ReplyDelete