Popular Posts

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

MAC Blog Comment: Wk1 Reading: Copyright Issues Part 1: Intro to Copyright


John Carter’s Original Message
Wk1: Copyright: Interesting Paradox
All,
Since we are talking copyright, I think of this situation.
Consider this….
My Aunt, just Passed. she has only one child who is “unavailable”, but upon her passing her legal matters were in the hands of her niece.
these links to records she sang on were found on YouTube. Who owns the rights? The record company. My Cousin, Her son, (You Tube?)
Interesting, is it not?
JCIII
My response
Well John, this is an interesting paradox. There is a way to find out who has rights to your aunt’s music.
Just answer one important question, “Did she ever file for the copyright of her produced work?” If not, sadly enough, anyone can file for it.
So if this was not done, then the family needs to file the copyright, or I will and make some money. It’s that critical, no copyright can mean free game. The process and cost is well worth it.
I would hate to hear that while you were listening to the radio one day and heard the same melody sung by someone else, yet they were making the money.

No comments:

Post a Comment